Wednesday, February 08, 2006

RCA 32" LCD HDTV Monitor

Ahhh, LCD! My personal favorite. Now, the RCA L32W11 is a fine machine. When I first ordered this machine I thought it may be a bit plain. I was wrong. This TV is actually very streamlined and with its all black front is very sexy in any room.

I installed this very machine in an executive office setting and it has proved to be very well appreciated. So much in fact that I received a call the next day from another executive requesting the same setup in their office.

Dimensions on the RCA 32" LCD are 23.6"H x 36.1"W x 9.4"D and weighs in at 48.5 lbs. LIGHT!! I held onto to it while a colleague positioned some of the wires behind the device. The machine has many inputs for audio and video. It can only support one PC (unless you split the signal-which does work very well) through an RGB input. There is a DVI input but it is strictly used for a DVD or other media input.

**Story Time**

When I purchased this machine I was under the impression that one could run two computers on the one device. It has a DVI and a RGB port so naturally, two computers. The LCD arrived and I unboxed it and installed it (wall mount attached to a Gateway Media Center PC and the second computer is a Lenovo X41 tablet). I attached the DVI and the RGB cables. The DVI was running to the Gateway computer. The DVI was not working. In the manual (which you receive after you order the LCD) it states that the DVI is not meant to be used with a computer. Ok...does that mean it will not work or RCA will not support it? I called Tech Support for RCA (supposedly 2nd level) and talked to a person (in this case it was a woman - please note...the fact that I mentioned it was a woman has no bearing on this story...to this point) who at first was very willing to help.

I first asked her if the DVI would work with a PC to see what reaction I would receive. She put me on hold to check with someone else. Was there a third tier support? Hmmm. She came back on the line and said "no, this model TV will not support a PC on the DVI". So, I asked "Can you tell me what makes this DVI so different from the 10 other DVI compatible TV's in my building that I have hooked up to PC's. She pointed to my manual to tell me that "It states in the manual that the DVI is not meant to be used with a PC". Ok, I think I understand that since I read it to her in the first place. So again I ask "But I need to know why, what makes it different"? Again she says "Sir, it clearly states in your manual that the DVI is not meant to be used with a PC." Ok, I think I am getting this now. I don't think she knows the answer to my question. It is just a hunch. So, one more time I ask "Yes, I can see that in the manual but nowhere in the manual or on the website or anywhere else does it say why I cannot use it". I am sure you can guess what is coming...

"Sir..It clearly states in the manual..." OH MY GOD. So that was the end of that call. I did find out later on that this DVI probably only supports a DVD or some other media component. My in-house media support person told me this. And I called the company who built this. Who is the dope now?

**Story Time Over**

All in all this is a very nice machine. Bright, good looking and with tons of inputs in the back including component video/audio, DVI (with DVI audio in), VGA (with VGA audio in) VID1, VID2, VID 3, ANT and S-Video to round it out. It retails with an MSRP of $1599 but I have found it online for around $1450. Enjoy! This is a beautiful LCD for any room or office in the house.

No comments: