Sunday, April 09, 2006

Review: Wagon Wheel Flea Market

I am on vaction in Florida this week and the first Sunday we are here we always go to the Wagon Wheel Flea Market in St. Petersburg, FL. This should be called the Wagon Wheel Flee Market because immediately when you drive in, you should turn around and run for your life.

The was a quote in Star Wars, A New Hope by Obi Wan when him and Luke come across Mos Eisley Space Port. Obi says, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany...except at the Wagon Wheel Flea Market." Now, this last excerpt was left out of the original movie but let me assure you, it was originally in there.

Walking through the aisles of junk, oh I mean "surplus items" is something to behold. There are lots of items that are really hard to determine the legitimacy. Stolen? Mmm, who really knows for sure. I am not sure who they would have stolen this from. Junk yard maybe? Some homeless guy? Don't get me wrong, there are some things that I bring home. Golf balls, socks (not used) and wallets. Of course, you can pick up a bra or thong but I would not advise it.

The caliber of people that visit here are the standups of society. I saw hundreds of people and about 3 teeth amongst them all. There was a woman who screamed the whole time she walked through the aisles. That was something to behold. I saw lots of cute middrift shirts on 300 pound girls. My retinas fell out.

The best are the long haired hippie freaks with no shirts, jean shorts and hair to their rears. This gentleman usually have a rugged looking woman going through the aforementioned bras and thongs and then a child with a nice mullet and a right ear pierced.

Did I mention all the wonderful smells too? No? Well I am not going to either. Some things in life are not worth reliving. Well, that is all from FL for now. I am sure there will be more to come. Hope you all are having a nice time in MN. See Ya.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well first of all the wagon wheel flea market is not located in St. Petersburg it is located in Pinellas Park, And Second if you don't like what you see then don't go. Remember it is a flea market not Saks 5th Ave or Macy's or even Neiman Marcus and the prices even reflect that. But for some people they like to look through stuff like that just because your are a snooty person does not mean everyone in the world should be like you.

MyReviewBlog Editor said...

Dear Anonymous...keep smoking what you are buying from this place. No one knows where the hell Pinellas Park is anyway, that is why people say St. Petersburg. You are exactly right though when it comes to it not being Saks or NM. It's not even 7-Eleven or Walmart caliber. I have been there many many times and I choose not to go back. There is nothing snooty about not wanting to buy 3rd rate knock off stuff. Its not like there are any deals at this place. I can find anything I want online for the same price from legit sellers. I guess what turned me from WW was when they stooped to letting anyone sell (as in garage sale) in the uncovered areas. That stuff is 100% junk.

Anonymous said...

I buy broken antique jewelry and repurpose it into mixed media wearable items. I have met with many of the lovely vendors at Wagon Wheel, and mostly all of them are very nice people who are trying to make a living. I suggest trying out the booths of the homemade roasted nuts, the baked fresh at home muffins, or the guy who makes handmade cigars. Yes, as with ANY place you go, you will have what you described as "lower class people"? I for one, like to live my life not always looking for something to complain about or criticize. Please go to Wagon Wheel for yourself, check out the great homemade and handmade items, support small business and take in all the interesting fair they have to offer. Decide for yourself. Or, you can sit at home watching Star Wars like the miserable, yet quirky "blogger" who posted his very misleading and non informative piece of web crap. True critics and reviewers don't just post to take up space, or feed people a bunch of BS. Your bitter response meant to be funny is now due, Sir.

** FYI. There's this really big thing called Upcycling, Recycling if you've heard? And I'm not talking about buying someon'es used granny panties either. Check out ETSY.COM to see how people create breathtakingly beautiful recycled items. **

Unknown said...

Dang You All. Its just a flea market!! The snooty people probably r so broke and so over extended in their credit, that really do not have a pot to piss in. These kind of people are probably republicans, with the "keep up with the Jones" attitude. I live in a Dble Wide on 27ac in Polk County, and got Millions in da Bank. I love going to FLea Mkts, saving my money, down to earth eats, and just plum hanging out. Pretencious people should go correct my spelling and to the Mall. ;>

Anonymous said...

hmmm...I know exactly where Pineallas Park is. I'm not sure if that makes me some kind of freak or what. Anyway, I have wonderful memories of going to the WWFM over the 12 years that I lived in FL. I'm looking forward to going again when I visit next month.

Anonymous said...

Some of the good brand wheel blank that was developed to be a perfect match to their industry-leading forged motorcycle wheels.Wheels Florida

Lazy Ed said...

Stop Bitchen. I go just to get some exercise. That cheep. Don't neet to buy.to exercise and kill a day.

Unknown said...

Then stay where your from if its so bad why do you go every time your here or stop bitching