Friday, April 21, 2006

Movie Review: King Kong (2005)

King King (2005) is a fantastic movie. It is a little slow at the beginning due to some character development but I forgave that. I liked all the characters. Naomi Watts steals the performance (next to Kong that is) to the point where no one else in the movie really matters. Jack Black also does a great job as Carl Denham, the over ambitious movie producer.

Carl takes a crew of sailors and his cast to Skull Island where they encounter Kong. From the moment they come across this island the adventure and the action starts. Folks, from this point on the actions does not stop. I was literally glued to my chair. I realized later I spilled my pop and really could not get up. I slept in that chair for three days.

Kong falls for Ann Darrow (Watts) and does anything and everything to protect her. Everything is a threat, in his eyes, to his new "special" friend. We are talking humans, giant bat things, T-Rex's, small mammals, the occasional fruit fly, taxi cabs and bi-wing airplanes. I think she should have stuck with Kong instead of kissing that Driscoll (Adrien Brody) character. Jack Driscoll had a bigger nose and much smaller feet than Kong (if you know what I mean).

I would highly recommend this movie. It is action packed, intense and has some scenes that kids should probably not see (like Darrow kissing Driscoll). There are some head squishes (it is an island full of dinosaurs...someone, you know, is going to get stepped on) , shooting, stabbing, kissing (as I mentioned before) and other icky violence.

Rent it or buy it. Peter Jackson did another great job on this movie.

No comments: