Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Bishop in the West Wing

This is my first post here.

"The Bishop in the West Wing" is a book by Andrew Greeley This book isn't so much novel as it is a propaganda piece for the DNC (Democratic National Convention). The propaganda is mixed thoroughly into a story about the White House, and it's new President, a democrat of course. He's the most wonderful, intelligent, wise, caring president ever. Yes, ever. Oh, I should also mention he is an Irish Catholic Guy from Chicago. Somehow, we are suppose to think that he is not a crooked politician from Chicago. Now, I know people from Chicago. Bribes make Chicago work. You want your driver's license, you'd better hand the county employee administering the test a couple of saw bucks or you'll be back tomorrow testing again. Imagine writing a story about how fair and accurate the elections and judicial system in Cook County Ill is to the citizens of Chicago. Good grief. Aside from that, the book is filled with references to W stealing the election from Algore and the corruption of the courts in Florida. The author apparently completely forgot the election that Old Man Kennedy bought for JFK in Cook County. Nixon actually had a reason to sue and didn't, Algore sued and, well, now he's a Unibomber reject lecturing to colleges.

But I digress.

The book almost completely failed to hold my attention. Apart from the liberal silliness, the story was weak. I didn't really care why the poltergeist (oh yeah, the White House is haunted for a while when the President first takes office and a bishop from Chicago is staying in the West Wing to banish the poltergeist) was there, who it was, or when it would leave. The most entertaining part of the book was waiting to see what sort of DNS inspired nonsense the author could dream up and pass off as good story telling. And that was so unbelievable that it wasn't worth the wait.

Anyway, don't read this book. It is, in a word, ungood. Unless you are a long haired, maggot infested, dope smoking liberal type; then you'll love it.

Wait, I did learn one thing; poltergeist is from German and it means 'noisy ghost', or 'playful ghost'. But I like etymological nonsense like that.

Jason

PS - The book I'm in the middle of now is good, but I'll be darned if I can recall the name. I'll post when I'm done with it.

No comments: