Sunday, March 12, 2006

Dining at Osteria i nonni

On Saturday night #1 wife and I decided to take a 2nd mortgage on the house and dine at i nonni. It had recieved near rave reviews in the Mpls St Paul Magazine and being partial to good food we decided to give it a go. It is a very nice establishment with fine ambiance and a great wine list. At $12 a glass for a mediocre Barbera that barely covered the bottom of the glass the breadth of the wine list was sort of moot since I was reluctant to take out a 3rd for a second glass. A young lady named Nicole was our server and we never lacked for anything. The term jonny-on-the-spot was coined for this server. The olives and bread came standard and heavenly would be an appropriate term for both. The olives (done by them) are the closest thing to wedding nights for sheer pleasure and I had a bunch. The big greeks are the best but all were wonderful. #1 wife had an evening special salad of veggies with toasted pine nuts and goat cheese. I can't say she liked it but it is the first time she has ever licked a plate in a first class restaurant, and growled at me when I asked to taste it. Count 1 fan for the salad. She then had the spinach risoto w/shrimp and artichoke hearts which was met with considerably less enthusiasim, basically a thumbs down and the offer that I could taste all I wanted. That is always a telling sign. In my particular case I had the old Italian favorite, a pork shank with an unidentified side of something which I couldn't make out in the dark. The side of garlic potatos and mushrooms was acceptable but not for $6 bucks. Oh did I say it was all ala-cart. Yup the bill went up farther than a than a teeny boppers skirt, and faster too.

Overall though the experience was very nice and the food very good. We would not hesitate to go back especially with a little more experience with the menu.
6 stars out of 10

No comments: