Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Spidey 3

Well #1 wife and I bit the bullet and went to see Spiderman 3 at the big, big screen at the Muller theaters in Lakeville. Wow!! that is a screen and half and a gorgeous theater. Any big time movie that you want to see should be viewed on that screen or the I Max at the MN zoo. Just a great experiance and one I would recommend to anyone.

The movie sucked.

Toby McGuire was a cute wimp in #1 and ok in 2, now he is just a wimp. I have never bought him as a superhero and after 3 tries not at all. I am one of those fellows who has to believe the character to, well, believe in the character. I bought his namby pamby goodness in #1 but his wussy evil in #3? com'on. And the villains. Com'on again. I've seen nastier grandmas although Thomas Hayden Church's Sandman was not bad. He lent a certain vulnerable heavyness to his absurdly unlikely thug. Do not even ask how he became Sandman as you will start to snigger.

And Kirsten Dunst is simply not cute enough to be a super-hero's main squeeze.

In these types of movies one must suspend your usual values but this one really requires suspension of Herculean proportions.

In Star Wars you became one with the characters. Even the villains were identifiable. In short you bought them. Here not at all. I bought the DVD's of the first 2, I won't be buying this one.
Doug

No comments: